MALOLOS, BULACAN — Rights groups Desaparecidos called for the immediate conviction of retired Maj. Gen. Jovito Palparan Jr. in a picket protest in front of the regional trial court in Malolos, Bulacan, simultaneous with the hearing set on the kidnapping with serious illegal detention case against the former military official.
“This 2018, we hope that the case against Palparan be finally resolved soon. The case has been running since 2014, and it has been a long ordeal for us and all of Palparan’s victims. We want to see him in jail this year,” said Linda Cadapan, mother of Sherlyn Cadapan, one of the two missing University of the Philippines students abducted in Hagonoy, Bulacan in 2006.
With her are Concepcion Empeño, mother of Karen Empeño, and victims of other rights violations, who reiterated their demand that Palparan be transferred from Fort Bonifacio to a regular jail.
“Murderer Palparan should be in a regular jail, among common criminals. His conviction on the disappearance of our daughters should make him accountable for the many cases of killings, abductions and enforced disappearances, torture and other rights violations when he was commanding officer in regions where he was assigned. He has been enjoying special treatment from the state for too long,” said Empeño.
The groups also condemned statements from the ranks of the AFP calling for Palparan’s release.
“The Filipino people will never be happy if Palparan is released. This is to reward a butcher and rights violator once more, as done by previous regimes. He is a killer that the military shouldn’t emulate and be proud of. The military should even condemn Palparan,” said Empeño.
AFP spokesperson Maj. Gen. Restituto Padilla Jr. said last year that soldiers will be “delighted” if retired general Jovito Palparan is released. ###
IN PHOTOS: Mothers of missing UP students Karen Empeno and Sherlyn Cadapan demand the immediate conviction of Jovito Palparan Jr., in a picket protest infront of the Malolos RTC on Thursday.